Reports and Narratives of the 1st Forum on the Commons (Feb. 2012)
- Surveying Commons Activism on the International Stage – David Bollier
- Making New Worlds Possible – Alexa Bradley
- A Report on Occupy Wall Street (OWS) Forum on the Commons – Mayo Fuster
- The Making of a Commons – presentation by Thomas Lowenhaupt, February 18, 2012, Session 6. Describes how New York City neighborhood names can be used to create new digital commons. Mr. Lowenhaupt made two requests: He invited those attending to join him in fine tuning the neighborhood names as commons. And that they reach out to occupy cities globally and collaboratively work to develop these new urban commons in areas such as best practices, governance, and institutionalization. See his presentation on SlideShare.
- Occupy-Commons strategy workshop: reclaiming the commons as a social theory of collective action — a hybrid (online/on-site) workshop presented by The Future of Occupy collective, February 18, 2012, Session 6. The notes from the in-person session will be posted soon. The online workshop is open until February 23, here. You can still introduce yourself, and participate in the conversations on strategic and pragmatic issues. Materials from the online workshop are posted here.
All the videos from the forum Making World held on February 16-18 2012 can be seen at USTREAM
Event Planning Documents
Press Release & Press Mentions
- Press Release
- The Making Worlds Forum on the Commons & City TLDs – From the Campaign for .nyc blog
- The basic Making Worlds black and white flyer FULL PAGE version – copied below. Download the full page B&W version from Scribd.com. (The download button is on upper right in Scribd.)
- The basic Making Worlds black and white flyer – with 2 copies per page. Download the 2 flyers per page B&W version from Scribd.com. (The download button is on upper right in Scribd.)
- The basic Making Worlds black and white flyer – with 4 copies per page. Download the 4 flyers per page B&W version from Scribd.com. (The download button is on upper right in Scribd.)
- Making Worlds color flyer FULL PAGE. Download full page color version from Scribd.com. (The download button is on upper right in Scribd.)
- Making Worlds color flyer – .jpg version – Suitable for inclusion in email. Note: the web address will not be clickable. Type in the URL separately – MakingWorlds.wikispaces.come
- The Future of the Commons Radical History Review Winter 2011: http://rhr.dukejournals.org/content/2011/109/101.full.pdf+html (Requires a subscription. Abstract available.)
General Background on Commons
- David Bollier, a one-pager on the commons, http://bollier.org/commons-short-and-sweet.
- On The Commons, Commons governance and social charters.pdf (Author?)
- Alexa Bradley, Julie Ristau 12 Commons Dispatches for These Times.docx
- Peter Barnes, Jonathan Rowe, and David Bollier, “The State of the Commons” – a 32-page public education introduction to the commons for general readers. The document is cast as an “annual report to commoners” — the analogue of a corporate annual report — that documents how the commoners’ shared wealth is being managed and mismanaged, http://bollier.org/sites/default/files/State%20of%20the%20Commons.pdf.
- Silvia Federici, Feminism and the Politics of the Commons, The Commoner, http://www.commoner.org.uk/?p=113
- On The Commons, Equity and the Commonsblog.pdf
- George Caffentzis, A Tale of Two Conferences: Globalization, the Crisis of Neoliberalism and the Question of the Commons, The Commoner, http://www.commoner.org.uk/?p=96. (This essay draws an important distinction between a commons created to serve capitalist development and what might be thought of as the anti-capitalist commons).
- Silke Helfrich, Ranier Kuhlen, Wolfgang Sachs, and Christian Siefkes, German Green Party’s foundation, https://commonsblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/gemeingueter.pdf.
- David Bollier, “This Land Is Our Land,” a 45-minute video, produced by the Media Education Foundation of Northampton, Mass., a nonprofit that produces politically progressive films for the higher ed market. A streaming version of the film is available at http://www.mediaed.org/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=146
- David Bollier, “The Commons Rising” a companion public-education report that focuses on the many positive commons developments going on. This is now quite outdated, but it gives a nice sense of the range of constructive commons-based activity going on, http://bollier.org/sites/default/files/State%20of%20the%20Commons.pdf.
- David Bollier, a four-part online course on the commons will debut in a few weeks at the UN Institute for Training and Research website, (Link soon.)
- Leo Burke, “A Common Matter” from Kosmos Journal, Fall|Winter 2010, http://www.kosmosjournal.org/articles/a-common-matter.
- James B. Quilligan, “Interest Rates and Climate Change: Realigning our Incentives through the Power of the Commons” from Kosmos Journal, Fall|Winter 2010, http://www.kosmosjournal.org/articles/interest-rates-and-climate-change-realigning-our-incentives-through-the-power-of-the-commons.
- James B. Quilligan, “People Sharing Resources|Toward a New Multilateralism of the Global Commons” from Kosmos Journal, Fall|Winter 2009, http://www.kosmosjournal.org/articles/people-sharing-resources-toward-a-new-multilateralism-of-the-global-commons.
- George Pór, “Connecting Our Conversations|Becoming Wiser Together,” from Kosmos Journal, Spring|Summer 2008, http://www.kosmosjournal.org/articles/connecting-our-conversations-becoming-wiser-together.
How Occupy Movement Might Apply Commons
- George Pór, “How r’evolution carries itself forward by the working groups of Occupy” http://thefutureofoccupy.org/2012/02/04/how-revolution-carries-itself-forward-by-the-working-groups-of-occupy/
- Mark Jagdev, “Can Occupy occupy strategy?” from The Future of Occupy, February 2012 issue: Focus on Working Groups http://thefutureofoccupy.org/2012/02/05/can-occupy-occupy-strategy/
- Mary Beth Steisslinger, “Sage Advice for Occupy? from Nobel winner Elinor Ostrom”
Articles about 15-M by Spanish thinker Amador Fernández-Savater
- “Notes from #Acampada Sol I: http://takethesquare.net/2011/07/08/notes-from-acampadasol-1/
- “How to Organize a Climate”: How to organize a climate.doc
- “The Art of Vanishing: The Crisis of Consensual Culture”: http://www.barcelonametropolis.cat/en/page.asp?id=23&ui=419
- “Notes on The non Violence of The 15-M movement”: http://takethesquare.net/2011/08/08/notes-on-the-non-violence-of-the-15-m-movement/
- “Lawrence of Arabia and The (Non) Battle of Sol”: http://www.desrealitat.org/2011/09/lawrence-of-arabia-and-non-battle-of.html
- From “No to the War” to 15-M: Social Movements that are not Social Movements: AmadorSocialMovements.doc
Background Materials on Rio+20 UN Conference on Sustainable Development
- Zero Draft UN negotiators draft outcome document
People’s Summit portal
People’s Summit Occupy the Earth Summit Initiative
More on the Commons from other sources
- Dossier at YES! Magazine: http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/the-commons